Take out a pen and paper right now and take down this recipe. Or get ready to right click and save. You need this recipe in your breakfast repertoire.
These pancakes are perfect for a super lazy Saturday when you never want to change out of your ratty old robe.
These pancakes are perfect for when you want to show off at a fancy brunch you’re hosting.
These pancakes are just plain perfect.
Lemon zest, sour cream, and cinnamon in the pancakes.
Berries, sugar, and bourbon in the compote.
The two dishes together are a winning combination.
I started off this recipe by bringing the berries, water, and brown sugar to a boil. Right before I turned off the heat, I added the bourbon.
I absolutely love cooking or baking with the zest of citrus fruits and lemon happens to be one of my favorites. The zest definitely adds a kick and takes the flavor of the pancakes up a notch.
If you’ve always relied on packaged pancake mix, no worries, this recipe is really easy to follow. It’s a one bowl recipe and takes about five minutes to whip up.
Did I mention that these babies have sour cream in the batter? I thought to myself, “Hey! Sour cream makes cakes and cupcakes super moist. Why not add them to the pancakes?” So I did.
You’ll love this recipe because the flavor combinations between the compote and the pancakes are absolutely delicious. The sour cream makes the pancakes extra fluffy and the cinnamon and lemon zest make these pancakes EVERYTHING. The compote is sweet enough to be the only topping, but not so sweet that you can’t add syrup. Since I’m a glutton for sugar, I added real Vermont maple syrup to mine.
Lemon & Cinnamon Pancakes with Mixed Berry Compote
Yield: 9 4-inch pancakes
Recipes Adapted from the Betty Crocker cookbook and Epicurious
For the Compote
- 1/2 cup fresh blueberries
- 1/2 cup fresh blackberries
- 1/2 cup fresh raspberries
- 1/3 brown sugar
- 1/3 water
- 3 tablespoons of your favorite bourbon
For the Pancakes
- 1 egg
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (or whole wheat)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
For the Compote:
- Combine the all of the berries, sugar and water in a small, heavy saucepan.
- Simmer over medium heat until the berries burst, stirring often for about 8 minutes. The compote should coat the back of a spoon.
- Add bourbon and stir for another minute.
For the Pancakes:
- In a medium bowl, beat egg with wire whisk until fluffy.
- Stir in remaining ingredients until the flour is moistened (the batter may be a little lumpy), but don’t overmix. If you want thinner pancakes, stir in 1 or 2 tablespoons of milk.
- Heat the griddle or skillet over medium-high heat. Brush with vegetable oil, butter or cooking spray before heating.
- For each pancake, pour slightly less than 1/4 cup of batter onto the griddle. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until bubbly on top and dry around the edges. Flip over and cook until the other side is golden brown.