“Winter is coming!”
That’s the first thing that came to mind when I walked into my local Earth Fare and saw the pomegranates and cranberries. Right after that thought phrase into my head, it hit me…I still have a few months before my beloved Game of Thrones comes back. And right after that, I remembered The Red Wedding episode and got a really upset. If you can’t tell by now, I’m a bit of a Game of Thrones fanatic. Anyway, I digress.
So when i spotted the pomegranate, I remembered that Yaz from Pop! By Yaz Instagrammed a picture of some delicious pomegranate & blueberry French Toast. (P.s. Yaz’s Instagram feed has the cutest pictures of her daughter helping in the kitchen and spectacular event design). So, I picked up a bag of cranberries and two pomegranates and went off in search of a loaf of challah bread. I was convinced that everyone in my neighborhood was making French toast that morning, because there was only one lonely loaf left.
I was so excited to get started once I got home that I almost forgot to take the obligatory picture of the ingredients. This recipe calls for rum, but I didn’t add it to the pic because you don’t have to add it.
I sliced a pomegranate in half and squeezed each half into the pot before I scooped out all of the seeds. You’ll be surprised about how much juice comes out when you slice them open. Then I added the cranberries, rum, and brown sugar.
How awesome does this sauce look?!
Then I whipped up the batter for the French toast using eggs, evaporated milk, and a little cinnamon. I’m usually pretty heavy-handed with the cinnamon, but my boyfriend has a serious aversion to all things cinnamon.
You’ll love this recipe because it’s super easy but looks pretty sophisticated. Trust me, you breakfast guests will be really impressed by this meal -I it’s sweet and tart AND the pomegranate seeds look like little jewels. I think that this recipe would make an awesome Christmas morning breakfast – just be sure to omit the rum if you have little ones.
Pomegranate-Cranberry French Toast
Inspired by Pop! by Yaz
Yield: 10 slices of toast
1 large pomegranate
1 cup cranberries
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 cup rum (if you choose to omit the rum, add 1/2 cup water)
1 loaf challah bread
8 medium eggs
1/2 cup evaporated milk
1/4 tsp cinnamon
- In a small saucepan, add cranberries, pomegranate (seeds and juice), rum or water, and brown sugar
- Simmer on medium heat for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. (I let it simmer until the cranberries got pruney. I’m pretty sure that pruney isn’t a word, but you get the gist.
- While the sauce is simmering, mix the eggs, evaporated milk, and cinnamon in a medium bowl.
- Slice the loaf of bread into 10 slices. Then, dip each side into the egg mixture.
- Place on a hot griddle or pan and cook each side until the egg mixture turns golden brown.
- Spoon pomegranate-cranberry sauce over the French Toast.