Fact: I LOVE cake batter. And sprinkles. And chocolate. So when I saw the recipe for these beauties on Sally’s Baking Addiction, I knew that I had to make them ASAP. Not only did they satisfy my sweet tooth, but they were the perfect way to use some of my ingredients before I packed them up for the big move to Raleigh.
These cookies did not disappoint…AT ALL! I promise that you’ll love them for a few reasons.
- They’re super easy to make
- There’s gooey chocolate chips … and sprinkles
- And they’re overloaded with delicious cake batter
One of the keys to make really thick, chewy cookies is to freeze the dough for at least an hour before baking. Sally also uses a ‘tall’ cookie dough trick that she describes here. It makes a really thick and chewy cookie. You know, the way a cookie should be. Plus, they’re super soft in the middle with a little crisp on the outside.
Funfetti/Cake Batter/Chocolate Chip Cookies
Recipe from Sally’s Baking Addiction
Makes about 2.5 dozen cookies
For the cookies
- 1 and 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 and 1/4 cup yellow/white boxed cake mix (I used the funfetti mix for added sprinkles)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup sprinkles
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, cake mix, and baking soda. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, cream together the butter and sugars on medium speed. Mix in the egg and vanilla until creamy.
- Add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients and mix until just combined, without overmixing. Fold in the chocolate chips and sprinkles.
- Cover and refrigerate dough for at least 1 hour, or up to 4 days.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Scoop rounded tablespoons of the cold dough onto an ungreased baking sheet. Shape your cookie dough balls to be “taller” than they are wide, keeping the dough chilled when working in batches.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes until edges are slightly browned.
- Allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheet for 4 minutes and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.