Growing up in the Bahamas, I only experienced two seasons, which were summer and some kind of fall/psuedo-winter mash-up. Not that I'm complaining or anything - I absolutely despise cold weather - but I didn't experience a real spring season until I moved to North Carolina. The first time I saw the trees bloom, I was in awe. There's something so amazing about watching the leaves spring from the bare branches and seeing all of the different flowers bloom.
This year, while deciding what cupcakes to include on the spring menu, I knew that I needed a cupcake that exuded springtime. I knew that these Lavender-Honey cupcakes would be perfect. Incorporating both lavender extract and lavender buds ensured that the floral taste and scent lasted long after they came out of the oven. Instead of using buttercream and having a sugar overload that would hide the lavender, I decided that cream cheese frosting would pair better with honey. Let me tell you, that was a great decision! These cupcakes are absolutely delicious. You'll love these cupcakes because they're light, sweet, and are the epitome of springtime.
Lavender-Honey Cupcakes Recipe Adapted from Jessie Next Door Makes 12 cupcakes
For the cupcakes: 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened 1 cup sugar 2 eggs 2 teaspoons vanilla extract 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour 1/2 teaspoon baking powder 1/4 teaspoon salt 2 1/2 tablespoons dried lavender buds 2/3 cup cold milk
For the frosting: 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened 8 ounces cream cheese, softened 4 cups powdered sugar 2 teaspoons vanilla extract 2 tablespoons honey, plus a little extra for drizzle
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line muffin tins with cupcake liners.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream the softened butter and sugar together. Add the eggs one at a time, beating after each egg. Stir in the vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Chop the dried lavender buds into fine, small pieces. Use a food processor if you have one available. Stir into the flour mixture.
- Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture.
- Add the milk and stir on low.
- Scoop batter evenly into lined muffin tins. Bake for about 18 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out clean.
- Let cupcakes cool in the tins for 5-10 minutes, then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the frosting, In the large bowl of an electric mixer, beat the butter and cream cheese together.
- Add the powdered sugar 1 cup at a time, mixing on low, until the frosting is smooth and creamy. Beat in the vanilla extract and honey.
- Frost the cupcakes using your favorite tip.
- Drizzle honey on top of the frosting.